Hi There!

I'm a triathlete, I'm a grad student, and I forget I have a blog frequently!

Friday, February 11, 2011

Rough Patch

Well I think I'm past due for another update. The last a little more than a week has been pretty rough. It started last Monday. I was looking forward to a glorious (and much deserved) recovery week. I was scheduled for an easy zone 1 ride, and I was planning on doing it after I brought Amanda home from her ballet class. The day went fine, but by the time I got home, I felt like crap. I figured if there was a night to miss the ride and get to bed early, that was it. I felt guilty, but I could live with it. Cue 2am when I wake up freezing cold, and feeling awful. Try to go back to sleep, can't. Crap. I'm sick. Seriously sick. I've always had an issue with my sinuses clogging up at a moment's notice, and just generally being phlegmmy but rarely am I really really sick. Especially since I started the whole tri thing. I decided to head out and bundle up on the couch so I didn't disturb Amanda. I took my temperature. Fever. Crap! And thus began a week with the flu. I spent the next two days alternating between the couch and bed under piles of blankets, shivering. Me fever broke Wednesday night, and I continued the switching couch to bed routine, but this time because every 20 minutes I woke up drenched in sweat. Fun. I finally was feeling more human Thursday. Extremely sleep deprived, but no longer shivering constantly. I thought about the workouts I missed, sure it was recovery week, but they're still important, right? I thought it was time to get back on the bike. I just had a 40 minute recovery ride. I lasted 10 minutes. I seriously thought I was going to die. I thought HTFU Greg, what the crap? Sack up, or pack up. I collapsed on the couch, mad at myself, and my body, for not being able to do even the most trivial of workouts. I finally emailed Mary. She gave me two days off. I felt a little better, but not much.

Fast forward to Sunday. I was scheduled for an hour zone 2 run to finish out my recovery week. I took Amanda to U of R, and ran laps around campus. I finally felt okay. It was a little rough, but I finished strong. I was finally back into it. This week was a little rough trying to get everything back. I felt especially bad in the pool on Tuesday. Along with trying to catch back up with school and research. Almost two weeks later, I finally feel like I'm back on top of things. I completely owned the ironman swim set yesterday. I'm actually looking forward to getting on my bike tonight. I have 3 hours on the bike tomorrow. Along with a shorter recovery run (I'm mentoring no boundaries tomorrow, so I might count that as my recovery run).  All in all, I'm excited for this block. Excluding my recovery week, my last couple have been solid, and I'm planning on continuing that. Three weeks of strength building, I'm ready.

I finally got my lodging all worked out for IMLP as well. I'll be crashing with  my friend Corey who is doing the race, and rented a house. Huge savings! Yes!

163 Days.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a mentor. I started because I made my mom do the program, and wanted to help her through it, but it was so much fun so I wanted to stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These things Happen!! Glad you got through it!! Continue on that journey! Your are going to be an Ironman in just 5 short months!! :)

    ReplyDelete