Hi There!

I'm a triathlete, I'm a grad student, and I forget I have a blog frequently!

Friday, June 17, 2011

Lake Placid Training Camp Day 1!


So I decided to write a log of training weekend in placid, so you all can live this awesome weekend vicariously through my words!

Friday:

Today started with my meeting Matthias at Amanda’s mom’s house in Farmington, it’s a long story why we ended up meeting there, and we’ll just leave it at that. We got on the road at about 9am, and enjoyed some lovely conversation on the way up. About two hours in we grabbed some lunch, and continued on into the mountains. At Tupper Lake I took a wrong turn and we got a nice little drive-through of Long Lake in, it was totally worth the 30 minutes it added to our drive… or not. We rolled in to the wonderfully cheap Alpine Air Inn at about 3:30ish, just late enough that we wouldn’t get to hit the 1hr recovery ride everyone else headed out on. We got everything situated in our room, and hung out a bit before heading down to mirror lake for a swim.

The lake had the lines in, and was all set up for what looked like crew, so we swam along the buoy lines all the way to the other end of the lake. My swim group consisted of Mary, Ken, and Don. Mary drafted off me the whole way. This was impressive, because I sprinted the whole thing, and didn’t breathe once. Or, I put in a nice medium effort, and made good time down. One of those two is true, I won’t say which one though. We waited for Ken and Don to come in, and chatted for a bit. Mary made me show her some of my water polo “ups”. She was impressed (as she should be!). The swim back went pretty quickly, passed a few people a long the line. I pushed a little harder for most of the way back. Ken and Mary came in just a few meters behind me. We all headed back to the motel for showers, and to relax before heading to dinner.

Dinner was at a place called Milano. It was very good. I got some tortelloni with tomato basil cream sauce, and grilled chicken. I got to know Kim and Travis better. They’re great. We all had a lot of fun, and some interesting conversations. For example, how exactly is puffed corn different from pooped corn? It’s clear they’re different, but how do they puff puffed corn. Kim said it’s something like *puffffff*. That answer didn’t really satisfy. After dinner we stopped at Rite Aid where I picked up some tooth paste, (I always forget something!) then headed back to the motel. I missed Amanda so I gave her a call, and talked to her and Pretson a bit. Then I headed down for a chat with Kim, Mary, Ken, and some others. It’s now 9:46 and I’m more than ready for bed! So it’s time for sleep! 112+ miles on the bike tomorrow, followed by a 30 minute run, and a swim in there somewhere as well. Lake Placid was beautiful tonight, hopefully it is tomorrow too!

37 days until IMLP!

No comments:

Post a Comment