Hi There!

I'm a triathlete, I'm a grad student, and I forget I have a blog frequently!

Friday, April 29, 2011

Race Weekend!

Two races this weekend, and I'm beyond pumped! Today's the last day of my taper week, and I'm going crazy with pent up energy! But today is a day off. The important thing to do today isn't to go out and tune up my run, or even spin on the bike. Today my workout is on the couch, with my feet up, and my mind focused. For the past week, I've been going over the details in my head of what I think I can do. I got my race plan from Mary yesterday, and after a little email back and fourth trying to nail down some smaller points for Sunday, I'm really happy with where I stand.

Tomorrow morning's the du. 3/20/3. I can't contain myself over this one. It's my first multisport race of the year. The "official" start to my season. As much as I love the ironman training, I can't describe how good it feels to just take the brakes off. I have an idea of where I want to come in. I know what it's going to take to get there. First 5k strong, but managed. Build on the bike (Appa's ready to fly!). That last 5k? Balls to the freakin wall. I'm looking for a negative split here. The course is flat. There's like 20ft of elevation gain. I want to freakin fly, and I'm going to. I haven't put in a 5k since Jan. 1. Since then though, I've run Johnny's (5 miles at my Jan1st pace), and Spring forward (9 miles at my Jan 1st pace). Yeah, both of those longer races I held the same pace as my (so far) 5k PR. I want to tear this up! I want that last 5 to be blazing fast (for me), and it will be. In Mary's words, I'll be running it like I'm not running a half on Sunday.

Sunday is a whole different beast. Mary and I both have the same goal for me. Even without my telling her, we had the same goal. We know I can do it, the only question lies if I can the day after the du. The question there really lies in my recovery. I'll be spending a bunch of time Saturday with my feet up. I'll be making the call race morning. Do I want to go for it, or do I feel like I can just put in a strong effort. At this point either way is going to be a pretty good PR for me. Honestly, my mind's already made up, and I think you can guess what I want to do. I won't let that overcome how I'm feeling Sunday morning though. There's bigger things at stake this summer than some little half-marathon PR. There's an Ironman on my horizon, and everyday  brings it a little closer. My goals for that can't afford to lose days/weeks to flaming out in an early season half.

I'm ready to go! I can't wait for the gun(s)! I'm pumped to head out for the first time in my Train-this kit. I want to represent! I want to show people how awesome my coach is, my team is. By doing awesome myself!

86 days.

2 comments:

  1. yay! I can't wait to RACE! (although my tri top is still a little tight - I need to lose like 5 lbs)

    ReplyDelete