Hi There!

I'm a triathlete, I'm a grad student, and I forget I have a blog frequently!

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

mini-mussel Report!

So I'm up in Lake Placid. We drove up this afternoon, got some delicious dinner. Amanda got me a small vanilla cone a Ben and Jerry's for my birthday (it's today! she had a giant brownie sundae with triple caramel chunk ice cream, I may have helped eat that to...). We took a quick stroll down to transition, so I could soak up a bit of the vibe. Might have gotten some chills. Definitely pictured that final 200 meters around the oval. But I'll cover my race report before I get too much into that stuff.

Saturday I raced mini-mussel. It was so much fun, and it did a great job of blowing away some of the pre-ironman jitters. It was nice to just go out, and go fast! Did the usual pre-race breakfast, mentally thanked Jeff Henderson for the 9am start, so I got to sleep in a bit more than most races. Headed down to Geneva around 7. Saw Mary just before I got to transition. She came in with me, and we found Alexa. We were all a MESS. Mary body-marked herself in the mirror, backwards. Alexa racked in the wrong spot, and I totally forgot to grab my timing chip until I had already walked down to the swim start (luckily it was still an hour before race time)!

The swim went well. I got out front, and got into a nice rhythm early. It was a sprint, so I was going strong. I still think I could've given it a but more ummph. I was leading my wave, with one drafter, for about 2/3 of the way. Then I got caught up in the wave before, and passed by my tail. He saw a way around that I missed. I worked my way through a good chunk of people from earlier waves, wove my way around a bunch of people who didn't seem to have the urgency to race that I did on the way up the boat launch. And yelled at people to get out of my way as I ran into transition. I don't like yelling at people, and I felt like a jerk, but I'm there to race, I want to win, and I would like some space to run. I headed into transition, got my wetsuit off, put my helmet on, grabbed my bike and went.

Swim: 9:46
T1: 1:05

Getting on my bike Mark O and Kelly C, two of my awesome train-this teammates were screaming at me to go. I had my shoes already on the bike, and I was ready to mount (no flying mount) when they started yelling that I lost one of my shoes. My rubber bands had prematurely come off somehow, and then somehow one of my shoes had popped out of the pedal. I kept my composure quite well, put the shoe on, clipped in, and started pedaling. I felt pretty good on the bike. I kept pushing, and was only passed out there by Matt Curbeau, who was riding like a mad man. I kept my eyes open for my teammates from earlier waves. I saw Amy early, but then I didn't see anyone until I went by Alexa with about a mile to go, and then Solveig on the way over the carpets into the park (she rode a flat for like the last mile like a CHAMP!).  I headed back into transition feeling strong. I had a good T2, slipped my shoes and visor on and RAN!

Bike: 43:21
T2: 1:00

The only thing I really have to say about the run is that it was HOT. The first mile I felt strong. The second mile hurt. A lot. I did my best to hold on, but my pace kept creeping up. By mile three I shook off whatever it was that was holding me back, and brought my pace back down. I gave it everything that I could, and crossed the line knowing that I didn't have much more to give. In the finish corral I then spent the next 3-4 minutes emptying the contents of my stomach as Mary laughed at me. She told me I definitely went hard enough, and that that was too hard for IMLP this week. Good to know coach!

Run: 21:34
Overall: 1:16:46

The next spring I do, that 5k is going to be under 20 minutes. That's a promise. Overall I was good enough for 13th overall, and 2nd age group. I'm happy with that. Getting faster, that's all that matters!

I can't wait for Sunday! I'm nervous, and excited all at the same time. I did get those chills looking out over transition. I have my race plan, and I'm ready to execute! I think know I can hit the projected finish time I was given. I don't want to jinx myself, but if I do what I can, I'll be a very very happy greggorsaurus. I signed up for race day tracking. So you can check my twitter for updates. My twitter is under greggorsaurus. Go figure, so if you're interested at all in how I perform, check there! The rest of the week will be keeping my feet elevated as much as possible. I'll be updating with a race report early next week.

1 comment:

  1. On Saturday you get up to eat breakfast and then immediately go back to your bed to read and watch tv and nap. Have your snacks and lunch brought to you like jabba the hut.

    ReplyDelete